Dog First Aid: Poisoning Protocols

It’s every pet parent’s worst nightmare—discovering your beloved furball might have gotten into something they shouldn’t have! When pets encounter something harmful, whether by eating, inhaling, touching, or any other means, it can damage their tissues and disrupt their body functions. These harmful things can be lurking anywhere—those lovely plants in your garden, medications, household cleaners, or other everyday products around your home.

Quick Actions to Take Ring a Vet or Poison Control ASAP:

If you suspect your fur baby has been poisoned, call a vet or a poison control center straight away and follow their advice to the letter. If there’s no local poison control, don’t worry!

  • The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661 are here to help (just note there might be a consultation charge).

Spot Serious Symptoms:

If your pet has ingested petroleum-based products, heavy-duty cleaners, potent acids, or severe alkalis, or if the harmful incident occurred more than 3 hours ago, or if your furry companion is unconscious, unstable, or having trouble breathing, hurry to the vet immediately.

Save a Sample:

If your pet throws up, keep a sample for the vet to analyze. A ziplock bag is great for transporting it safely.

Check the Product Guidelines:

If the little one has been in contact with a nasty chemical, make sure to consult the product's safety guidelines for any immediate actions to take.

What Not to Do Hold Off on Liquids:

Resist giving your pet any liquids, as they might speed up the absorption of the poison.

Don't have a vet in your area yet? We can help you find a local veterinarian.

If you have more questions, the GeniusVets Telehealth platform will give you unlimited access to text and/or video calls with board-certified veterinarians! To learn more click here.